Sunday, October 5, 2014

Many Opinions, One Truth

In my last blog post, I discussed my opinion on Jennifer Cramblett suing Midwest Sperm Bank over a sperm mix-up that resulting in her becoming pregnant with a black man's child. In this post, my evidence was an article that I believe supports my opinions on the matter and portrayed Cramblett and her partner positively. However, while I was researching the topic, I found another article that I feel portrayed Cramblett and her partner as the "bad guys."

Which article is telling the truth? I suppose every article you look at will view the story differently and shed a different light on the facts. This is what we have to be careful about when reading about anything factual- history textbooks, articles on current events- facts are often left out, and the truth is often depicted in different ways depending on what you are reading. Some truths could be completely forgotten in one piece of literature yet focused on it another. It's like "The Stories We Tell," a documentary by Sarah Polley; the stories we tell are based on fact but full of opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Sure, the sperm bank messed up in mixing up the sperm order, but is that really the area of concern? It shouldn't matter who's sperm it was as long as the child is hers. If the sperm is that of an unknown man, why is his race significant in the slightest? In one of your articles it says that the child is already two years of age. There is no logical compensation at this point. If the mother does not love her child at this point then the problem does not lie within the sperm bank, but within herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as though there is no real truth to this situtation. People react in ways we can never predict. Jennifer Cramblett was under the impression she was pregnant with a different sperm donor than she actually was, and when she found out otherwise, she was obviously caught off guard and rigtfully so. I don't doubt her love for her child for one second, and no one has the right to fully judge Cramblett and her partner for the way they reacted. I agree with Rudy that the race should not matter at all, but it's not fair to make them out as bad guys when we have no idea how we would honestly react if a similar situation happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rudy- I agree. I think that if she wanted to bring this issue up legally, she should have done it much sooner.

    ReplyDelete